~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST COMMENTS UNDER THE WRITINGS!
All you need to do is to click on the word COMMENT. You will get a screen to write on. The easiest way to do it is to choose Name/ URL. It is not necessary to post an URL with it...just give your name. Thanks!

Friday, January 1, 2016

SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD...January Writing by Cathy Friberg

1/2/16

I haven't been to a doughnut shop in, oh..........  20 years or more. Yet, on Christmas morning my husband and I found ourselves at "Maple Leaf Doughnuts." It proved to be the only place nearby where we could buy a cup of coffee. We sat in a booth, chatting, laughing, and  checking our cell phones for updates from the power company. 

The electricity had gone off at over a hundred homes in our area. PG&E  was checking out the situation. Our kids were coming in from out of town for Christmas dinner. My prospects for preparing for our guests were looking bleak. 

Without electricity I couldn't work on cooking the lasagna. My carpets looked forsaken with bits of dust and lint scattered all about. With no power the vacuum would not be coming to the rescue. Worst of all it, was freezing in our house! I think the luxury I missed most was being able to brew a cup of comforting hot coffee. So off my husband and I went in search of a cup of java. All the coffee shops and restaurants were closed because of the holiday, so we gratefully settled for the doughnut spot at the plaza.

Many things went racing through my mind when I initially realized that we had no electricity. I was bombarded emotionally with a million "what ifs." I felt frustrated and angry. At that point I turned to the Lord. After seeking the Lord with praise, prayer and reading the word, I was flooded with peace. I began to count my blessings and could once again think clearly. That is when the idea of leaving the house to have coffee with my husband came to me. With a fresh outlook I was able to have a mini "date" with my spouse on Christmas morning. 

During my prayer time the Holy Spirit reminded me that in the natural realm, a lack of
power negatively affects so many areas of our lives. I was also impressed that on the spiritual level, being disconnected from God's power is even more devastating. When we are not in communion and fellowship with the Lord, we are left to our own blind perceptions and weak devices. We are rendered virtually ineffective in the Kingdom of God. 


"I am the vine; you are the branches. 
If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit;
apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:5


I am so thankful for God's grace. It is such a blessing to be able to turn to Him in all our trials, big or small.

"Then call on me when you are in trouble,
and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory."
Psalm 50:15
  

When we seek the Lord we forsake the carnal mind and instead receive the mind of Christ. 

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, says the  Lord.
And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine."
Isaiah 55:8
As it turned out our electricity was restored within a few hours. The Lord multiplied my time and all the chores were completed. We had a blessed time with our children. The Lord is so faithful to works all things out when we turn to Him and place everything in His hands. 


By Cathy Friberg

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment